In spite of yesterday’s heat, it was a tremendously successful Derby Day. The Middle and Upper School Faculty are very proud of our Grades 4-8, particularly their excellent participation, demeanor and focus during the concert, processional and commencement exercises at New North Church (our Upper Schoolers). Also, what a wonderful way to end the school year by spotlighting our students’ musical, academic and citizenship talents at these events. Well done, everyone!
Here are some closing thoughts to pass along as we head off for the summer:
- Congratulations and best of luck to the Class of 2015 as you move on to your next schools. You are a very special group of 41 young adults whom I have greatly enjoyed having as our oldest students this year at Derby. I applaud your leadership and maturity, and I very much enjoyed your caring personality as an entire grade and as individuals, both in and outside of our classrooms. I look forward to hearing about your upcoming accomplishments in secondary school, and I encourage you join us next fall at Thanksgiving time for the “Turkey Day Alumni Reunion” on November 23. Mark your calendars!
- Over the next twelve weeks of vacation, it is important for all returning students to read as much as possible (every day for at least 30 minutes!) and to regularly work on both your IXL math and IXL language arts skills. (Note: Our English Department will be sending you a letter shortly about this new English/Language Arts IXL component that we have added this summer. The log-in will be the same as the math log-in.) Also, students, please consider keeping your writing skills “sharp” by maintaining a journal or by writing stories about your summer activities.
- Thank you, parents, for your continued support of Derby’s mission and the Faculty’s dedicated, tireless work with your sons and daughters. The “middle school years” require considerable patience and teamwork on the part of all the adults—teachers, advisors, coaches and parents–who are involved in the life of a 9–14 year old. It is this consistent cooperation and regular communication that enables us, collectively, to successfully guide children of this age through the “tricky, unpredictable waters” of adolescence.
- Next year’s classroom supply lists for all grades, as well as information about the iPad program for Grades 6-8, will be available by early August. Current Grade 5 families moving up to Grade 6 in the fall: Should you have any questions about the iPad program (e.g., the model/specifications of which iPads to purchase), please email me, and I will be happy to provide you with this information.
- To the handful of grade 4-7 students not returning to Derby in September, your teachers, classmates and I will miss you in our community next fall but hope you will always feel welcomed to come back and visit us.
Have a relaxing, enjoyable summer!
John B. Houghton
Associate Head of School
Head of Middle and Upper Schools
- Saturday, June 13: SSAT for Grade 7 at Derby (arrive by 8:30 am)
- Week of June 22: Semester 2/final reports, grades and advisor summaries available to view on-line. (You will receive an email notifying you of this.)
- Thursday, September 10: Opening Day of school for the 2015-16 academic year. First Chapel at 10:15 am.
- Wednesday, September 16 – Friday, September 18: 8th Grade Orientation and Leadership Program at Sargent Center, NH