The last week of our school year is referred to on our campus as Derby Day Week. Leading up to these special, celebratory few days in June – when the richest of our School’s traditions are on display – there are a number of important details we all must pay attention to. Here are the top nine entries I suggest you make on your calendar and/or “To Do List:”
- Clothing – Make sure to purchase or find the appropriate clothes for Last Chapel and Derby Day. See description on the “Year End Details” link at the end of this blog entry.
- Buses – If your child rides a bus (Duxbury/Marshfield, Hingham, or Boston), please refer to this schedule about the last day for bus transportation: End of Year Bus Schedule.
- Last “Regular” Day of the Year – Remember that next Monday is the last normal school day of the year (with a 4:00 pm dismissal for most, and a 3:15 pm option for Grades 4 and 5).
- Dismissals next week: We have a 3:15 pm dismissal next Tuesday, June 2 – Thursday, June 4 for all grades in the School.
If your child is in Grades 6-8, they have the option to go home at 2:35 pm. However, the Front Office must have a parent email or note in hand by 10:00 am giving permission for this, and the student must sign out in front of Sarah Derby Hall at 2:35 pm before leaving campus. (A quiet study hall in homerooms is available for any sixth through eighth grader who needs to stay on campus these three days until 3:15 pm.)
- Dismissal during Derby Day Week – We will have a 1:10 dismissal on both Monday, June 8 and Tuesday, June 9 for the entire school (PK-Grade 8).
- Upper School Dinner-Dance – This is a three hour event in the Lewis Dining Hall, June 9, 6:00 – 9:00 pm. Dress is the same as for Last Chapel.
- Arrival Times on Last Chapel and Derby Day – On Last Chapel day (Wednesday, June 10) and Derby Day (June 11), most students should arrive at 10:00 am and 8:30 am, respectively. However, if your child is in one of the choruses, he/she may be asked to arrive earlier for a special rehearsal. See the attached schedule below.
- Grade 8 Families on Derby Day – a) The class photo is taken promptly at 8:20 am in the McKelvey Gym. Please be on time! b) If you need special arrangements for handicapped access into New North Church for the graduation ceremony, please email John Houghton; c) All family members and special guests are invited to the reception at Old Derby Academy following the graduation ceremony.
- Wish for good weather on Derby Day!
Bit and Pieces….
Congratulations to all the musicians, dancers and artists who performed last night, or whose works were displayed, at Middle and Upper School Arts Night. Also, thank you to the members of the Art and Music Departments for their hard work and inspiration provided to our students throughout the year!
Upper School Final Exams: Friday, June 5: Grade 7 exam – Pre-Algebra (9;00-10:30 am); Grade 8 exam – Physical Science (9:00-10:30 am). Monday, June 8: Grade 7 exam – Foreign Language (9:00-10:30 am); Grade 8 – Algebra (9:00-10:30 am), followed by Foreign Language (11:00 am-12:30 pm).
Summer Tutoring Recommendations: Should you be interested in the names of Derby teachers who tutor in specific subject areas (e.g., math or writing) over the summer, please email Karen Malloy, our Director of Support Services, at email@example.com.
The Derby Day Clothes Exchange: The clothes exchange has been an enormously successful, helpful sharing of community resources over the past few years. Please consider bringing in white pants, dresses and shirts, along with blue blazers and dress shoes – to swap for a different size or simply donate for another family. For more information, be sure to read the box in the DEN.
Monday, June 1: Beginning of “Exam Review Week” for Upper Schoolers
and Spring Athletic Assembly, 2:30-4:00 pm, Larson Hall
Wednesday, June 3: Grade 8 Athletic Appreciation Dessert, 6:45 pm, Roy Campus Center
Thursday, June 4: Admission Open House (“Curriculum Showcase”) for prospective Grade 6 and 7 students and families, 4:00-6:00 pm, Healey Innovation Center
Friday, June 5: Beginning of exams and/or final projects for Grades 6-8 and
Upper School Final Exams (Gr. 7 Math, Gr. 8 Science)
Monday, June 8: Upper School Final Exams (Gr. 7 Foreign Language; Gr. 8 Math, followed by Gr. 8 Foreign Language)
Tuesday, June 9: Upper School Dinner-Dance, Lewis Dining Hall, 6:00-9:00 pm
Wednesday, June 10: Last Chapel, 10:30 am, Larson Hall
Thursday, June 11: Derby Day Concert (9:00 am. McKelvey Gym) and Commencement (11:00 am, New North Church)